Well, Instagram has done it again! This post is brought to you by my IG page, after you all wanted the recipe for dinner I made earlier this month! According to my story, I made this yummy artichoke and spinach flatbread and we enjoyed it on the deck with some homemade lemonade for dinner. It was all great. And the weather was perfect, thanks for asking. Well, you all asked for the recipe, and since you asked, you are now receiving. The power of overwhelming me with the question on social media, hehe! This flatbread is seriously simple for summer, and can easily be grilled too!
This post contains affiliate links
This recipe uses my favorite Alfredo sauce recipe. My mom used to make a very similar one, and I definitely had to keep the tradition of homemade Alfredo alive. It just doesn’t taste the same out of a jar. Plus, this one is vegan, so a much better option that still tastes yummy. I decided to go with a creamier sauce rather than the typical tomato-based one (or plain olive oil) I often see on flatbreads.
I’ve also had this almost obsession with artichokes lately and have been eating them up. I don’t hesitate to pick up a jar while browsing the aisles of the grocery store. Seriously so much yum! It’s not just the taste, it’s the texture too! Just. So. Good.
But I needed something to put them on. A few years ago, we went to this amazing Italian-Indian fusion place and had this delicious naan pizza with Indian inspired toppings. It was so good.
Seriously, writing up this post is making me hungry, so I’ll get to the point.
You can use any naan or flatbread you want. If you want to do this on a pizza crust, by all means, do so! There probably won’t be anything left over once you serve this up!
And pro tip: eat it outside. It’ll make you feel fancy.
Spinach + Artichoke Flatbread
what you need for the Alfredo:
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 cube vegan seasoning (I have used this one from amazon)
1 1/4 cup water
about 2 tsp dried basil
what to do:
1) Add first five ingredients to a blender and process until everything is well mixed.
2) Add mixture to pot, add basil, and bring to a slow simmer - constantly stirring until thick
what you need for the flatbread:
Your favorite Naan bread or flatbread
1, 6oz. jar of artichoke hearts
3 1/2 cups fresh spinach
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
your favorite shredded vegan cheese (optional)
roasted red peppers (optional)
red chili peppers (optional)
sea salt to taste (optional)
what to do:
1) Preheat the oven to 425ºF (I do so with a pizza stone in there - optional!)
2) Mix the garlic and olive oil. Brush mixture on one side and put the bread oil side down on a prepared pan (or on pizza stone) Bake for about 2 minutes and set aside.
3) Put the remaining garlic and oil mixture into a pan. Add artichokes and spinach and cook until spinach starts to wilt, being sure to not overcook the spinach. Remove from heat.
4) Top naan with Alfredo sauce and artichoke mixture.
5) Sprinkle some vegan cheese on top (optional) and place in oven.
6) Bake for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and if you want, broil the top for a minute.
7) Garnish with some red chili, red peppers, and sea salt.
8) Cut and serve fresh! Enjoy!
Do you enjoy a good smoothie? What is your go-to? Let me know in the comments!